Many Kansas City area homeowners have switched their thermostats to cooling with the recent 100°+ temperatures. While homeowners are kicking up the AC and making good use of fans, there are additional tasks our technicians at Anthony recommend to increase your home comfort and even reduce electric bills!
Our Home Cooling Tips and How They Help
- Adjust Dampers in Ductwork: Dampers control the airflow in your HVAC system. Adjusting them to send more cool air to hard-to-cool rooms can help balance the temperature throughout your home. This ensures that no room gets overly warm while others remain too cold.
- Close Supply Registers: If you don’t have dampers, closing supply registers (also known simply as air vents) in rooms that are easier to cool can redirect more air to rooms that need it the most. This method can be especially useful if you’re dealing with rooms that tend to get much hotter than the rest of the house.
- Turn Off Central Bypass-Type Humidifier: Humidifiers add moisture to the air, which can make your home feel warmer. Turning off the humidifier and its damper during hot weather can help reduce the overall humidity and make the air feel cooler.
- Move Furniture Away from Vents: Furniture placed over the supply registers can block the airflow, preventing cool air from circulating properly. Moving furniture away from these registers ensures better airflow and more efficient cooling.
- Use the Thermostat Fan: Turn on the fan switch on the thermostat to help circulate air. This helps maintain a consistent temperature throughout the house and makes occupants feel cooler without drastically lowering the thermostat.
- Avoid Heat Sources Near the Thermostat Sensor: Heat sources like lamps can trick your thermostat into thinking the house is warmer than it actually is. Keeping heat sources away from the thermostat prevents unnecessary cooling cycles and helps maintain an accurate temperature reading.
- Install a Clean Air Filter: A clean air filter allows for better airflow, which is essential for effective cooling. When the filter is clogged, your cooling system has to work harder to push air through, reducing its efficiency and potentially leading to higher energy bills.
Trust the AC Experts at Anthony
It’s important to note that these tips are generally effective in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of your home cooling system. However, in extreme heat, your cooling system might still struggle to keep up. If you suspect that there is an issue with your air conditioner, contact the experts at Anthony. Our technicians regularly help Kansas City homeowners with air conditioning repairs, maintenance, and even provide emergency services. Schedule your appointment online and restore your comfort today.